I consider myself a person who is growing in patience. I try to give everyone a fair shot and the benefit of doubt and all that good stuff but let’s be honest: it doesn’t always work. Some things I just cannot tolerate. I think I have an even shorter attention span when it comes to men and potential prospects. So I figured that I would let you in on a few things that I think are absolute deal breakers when it comes to men.
*Disclaimer: just because someone possesses these traits does not mean they are inadequate in any way. There’s someone out there for everybody. If a guy says I only like skinny light-skinned girls with flawless skin it doesn’t mean that girls like me suck it just means that I wouldn’t be his preference. Catch my drift? Good. Let’s get to it.
1. Poor hygiene. I just truly believe that as an adult one should be bathing, brushing teeth, and receiving haircuts regularly. Period.
2. Can’t speak English. There is a difference between slang/typos and completely butchering the English language. I need you to at least be able to formulate a complete sentence. I’m not saying I speak perfectly but I am saying that I’m an English major and nobody has the time to decode your hieroglyphic text messages.
3. Potty mouth. It just isn’t cute to me. At all.
4. Too cool for school. Everyone knows that person who thinks he’s really awesome and feels the need to tell everyone about it. People who say things like “Man, I was listening to J.Cole BEFORE he got signed. Y’all just jump on any bandwagon”. Sorry bro, unless you got him the record deal you’re not that cool. Or guys who have to constantly talk about how “different” they are from the rest of the male populous and are on their “grown man”, etc. You know what I’m talking about. Ugh.
5. Bathroom mirror pics. Constantly! Just stop.
6. Rudeness. I don’t care if you’re talking to the POTUS or the waiter at Chili’s. Respect is just a minimum. I cannot stand jerks. I know some girls think it’s cute but I find it absolutely disgusting. I should have made this number one.
7. Bums. Guys who put in no work. If you DARE ask me to pick YOU up for a first date then I dare you to lose my number. Quickly. I’m not paying for your dinner. I’m not dropping you off at your baby mama’s. If I have to buy my own movie ticket it’s not a date and you should act accordingly by keeping your arm on your own armrest. And no you may not have any of the popcorn that I paid for. Thank you, kindly.
Well, seven is the number of completion so I’d better stop here. These are just a few of the things that keep me from taking a guy seriously. Like I said, these aren’t deal breakers for everyone but it’s hard to get past for me. At least mine are better than my mom’s ” I would never date a man with bad teeth” and “I wouldn’t date your father until he got a car. I didn’t have any ethics back then.” Ha!
What are some of your deal breakers? Of course, we can’t just talk about the bad without the good so I’ll be back soon to talk about what I like and that list will most likely be much longer!